Government Agency Relies on NETSCOUT to Ensure Worldwide Data and Voice Communications
- Lack of visibility into the health, performance and cybersecurity status of the network and IT services that rely on it
- Inability to proactively detect, troubleshoot and resolve issues impacting critical communications and applications
- Needed a method to manage worldwide network centrally, while also enabling decentralized operation, management, and defense of local networks
- The nGeniusONE® Service Assurance platform with Unified Communications and Collaboration (UC&C) analysis and ISNG appliances
- nGenius® 3900 series packet flow switches for visibility
- Quickly identified, isolated, and mitigated issues causing slow performance of UC&C and other service-wide applications
- Reduced MTTR – provided visibility necessary to quickly and proactively pinpoint, triage and resolve problems on the worldwide infrastructure, limiting impact to personnel performing critical duties and allowing IT to stay ahead of issues before they become catastrophic
- Proactive management – enabled real-time analysis and single pane view of problematic sites, poorly performing applications, and network bandwidth constraints
- Improved staff communication – the solution delivered automated reports on services, servers, applications and networks, providing senior leadership with insights into the true health of the network
This large United States Department of Defense agency plays an integral role in the protection of the country and has an extensive IT investment. They are heavily invested in building and running a modernized IT infrastructure and protecting all the applications running across it, including Unified Communications. The infrastructure must support internal communications as well as interactions with allies and partners.
Uptime and application availability are critical objectives for this agency with dire consequences when systems, applications and communications are down or impaired. Any network performance failures could hamper projects and even put lives at risk. Unfortunately, a lack of visibility into the health, performance and cybersecurity status of the global network and the IT services that rely on it left the IT team in the dark. In one instance, employees were reporting very poor voice communications quality in their office that was not happening in offices at other locations. IT needed an efficient and effective way to measure the quality of Unified Communications and Collaboration (UC&C) services at any and all locations and quickly analyze, pinpoint and correct the cause of the poor quality at the specific office.
They needed enterprise-wide visibility, as well as a way to proactively detect, troubleshoot and resolve issues impacting mission-critical communications and applications. In addition, the IT team wanted a permanent solution that would enable central management of their worldwide network, while also enabling decentralized operation, management, and defense of local networks.
The nGeniusONE Service Assurance platform with Adaptive Service Intelligence™ (ASI) technology and ISNG appliances were chosen to quickly identify, isolate, and mitigate issues causing poor performance of UC&C systems and other service-wide applications. ASI transformed this high-value application wire traffic into “smart data” to ensure security, manage risk, facilitate superior decision making and drive performance of the services on the network. nGenius 3900 series packet flow switches were also deployed to provide critical network traffic to the ISNG appliances, giving IT the ability to continuously monitor networks and applications to ensure availability and performance.
NETSCOUT Solution in Action
The nGeniusONE solution improved IT collaboration, offering a single, global view into the performance and health of all services, servers, applications and networks. The solution provided proactive detection, troubleshooting, and triage of problems, speeding up Mean-Time-to-Resolution (MTTR). The solution delivered detailed UC&C analysis and metrics for call signaling protocols like SIP as well as for media protocols like RTP. It also provided the IT team with UC&C metrics, including MOS scores, jitter, latency and packet loss, helping to ensure peak performance, flawless communications and the information to know when and where communications may be affected. As a result of this game-changing solution, IT was able meet its mission-critical goal of centralized management and decentralized execution.
NETSCOUT’s industry-leading solution delivered tangible benefits that were extremely valuable for this agency. IT gained the visibility needed to quickly and proactively pinpoint, triage and resolve problems on the infrastructure, reducing MTTR and limiting the impact to personnel performing critical duties around the world.
Using NETSCOUT’s services-based dashboard, IT was able to proactively manage issues, perform real-time analysis of problematic sites and poorly performing applications, as well as identify network bandwidth constraints so they can get ahead of issues before they become catastrophic. IT was also able to easily configure auto-generated reports, providing senior leadership with insights into the true health of the network.
nGeniusONE assures performance of the cloud, virtual, co-lo, and on-site data center platforms running today's government, healthcare, and business services. nGeniusONE assures remote user experience by monitoring capacity and performance of VPN, VDI, UC, and healthcare delivery services.